4 easy steps to speed up Windows
Slow computers can make even the simplest of tasks feel like a real hassle. There are a couple of things that may be reducing your PC’s performance.
Here are a few basic steps to try and improve speed and performance.
- Reboot your PC
Rebooting your computer can fix many problems and is an easy first step.
- Scan for Malware
Spyware and other malware can create issues including slower performance.
Use the free version of Malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware.
- Update the Operating System
To update you PC simply type ‘update’ in the Windows search bar.
Then click ‘Check for updates’
- Free hard drive space
Make sure you have at least 200-500Mb of free hard drive space.
How to check how much hard drive space is available:
- Open File Explorer
- In left navigation pane – Click This PC
- There should be a section called Devices and Drives
- Here one can see the amount of storage available.
Another way of clearing up some space is Disk Cleanup:
- In the search box on the taskbar, type disk cleanup, and select Disk Cleanup from the list of results.
- Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.
- Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
If all these steps fail to improve your performance, it might be time to upgrade your PC by adding more RAM or changing to an SSD drive. Older PC’s still use traditional storage devices called HDD drives. SSD drives are newer, faster drives that store data instantly.
If you are unsure what your system uses and would like to look at getting an upgrade contact CTS-Group for a review of your current PC hardware and we can make recommendations on improving your performance.